The Center for Competitiveness is closely related to the Chair of Economic and Social Policy of the University of Fribourg. The main research activities are conducted in the fields of:
- the determinants of competitiveness (of cities (Smart Cities), regions, and nations),
- competitiveness index and ranking methodologies,
- the governmental policies fostering competitiveness as well as the role of multinational enterprises (MNEs) on the technological and economic upgrading of host and home countries,
- cluster mapping and the role of clusters to foster prosperity and innovation,
- FDIs and M&As in/from emerging markets MNEs.
Books and books chapters (2012-2019)
- Gugler, P. (2018). “The competitiveness of location in International Business and Economic Geography”, in Gary Cook, Jennifer Johns, Frank McDonald, Jonathan Beaverstock and Naresh Pandt (eds), The Routledge Companion to the Geography of International Business, Routledge Companions, Taylor & Francis Group, London.
- Gugler, P. (2016). “Incentives in the European Union”, in Tavares-Lehmann, T., Toledano, P., Johnson, L., Sachs, L. (eds), Rethinking Investment Incentives: Trends and Policy Options, Columbia University Press, New York.
- Gugler, P. (2015). “Transparency and Competition Policy in an Imperfectly Competitive World”, in Foressbaeck, J., Oxelheim, L. (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Economic and Institutional Transparency, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Deiss, J., Gugler, P. (2012). Politique économique et sociale, de boeck, Paris.
- Deiss, J., Gugler, P. (2012). "Aspects économiques du droit de la concurrence", in Martenet, V., Bovet, C., Tercier, P., Droit de la Concurrence, Helbing Lichtenhahn, Basel.
- Alon, A., Fetscherin, M., Gugler, P. (eds) (2012). Chinese International Investments, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke.
Articles/Literature Reviews (2012-2019)
- Resbeut, M., Gugler, P. Charoen, D. (2019). "Spatial agglomeration and specialization in emerging markets: Economic efficiency of clusters in Thai industries", Competitiveness Review: An International Business Journal, Vol. 29, Iss. 3, pp. 236-252).
- Lepori, D., Gugler, P. (2018). "Comparative advantages and cross-border mergers and acquisitions: the case of Chinese M&As in European countries", International Journal of Strategic Business Alliances, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 148-165.
- Gugler, P. (2017). "Emerging countries’ country-specific advantages (CSAs) and competitiveness of emerging market multinational enterprises (EMNEs)", Competitiveness Review: An International Business Journal, Vol. 27 Iss. 3, pp. 194-207.
- Gugler, P., Vanoli, L. (2017). "Convergence or divergence of prosperity within the ASEAN community? A crucial issue for the success of the ASEAN economic community (AEC) process", International Journal of Emerging Markets, Vol. 12, Iss. 3, pp.610-624.
- Resbeut, M., Gugler, P. (2016). "Impact of clusters on regional economic performance: A methodological investigation and application in the case of the precision goods sector in Switzerland", Competitiveness Review, Vol. 26, Iss. 2, pp.188-209.
- Gugler, P., Keller, M., Tinguely, X. (2015). "The role of clusters in the global innovation strategy of MNEs: Theoretical foundations and evidence from the Basel pharmaceutical cluster", Competitiveness Review, Vol. 25, Iss. 3, pp. 324-340.
- Gugler, P., Vanoli L. (2015). “Technology-sourcing investment abroad as an enhancer of Chinese MNEs’ innovative capabilities", International Journal of Emerging Markets, Vol. 10, Iss. 2, pp. 243-271.
Reports/Case Studies (2012-2019)
- Gugler, P., Lepori, D., Resbeut, M. (2017). “Economic Performance, Structure and Comparative Advantages of the Canton of Fribourg”, Center for Competitiveness, Fribourg.
- Gugler, P., Bliesener, J. (2017). "Status of Cluster Development with focus on Bioeconomy: Canton of Fribourg”, Center for Competitiveness, Fribourg. Click on this link in order to download the report
- Brugnetti, A., Gugler, P., Lepori, D. (2017). “Competitiveness of Cities: Making Barcelona Smart”, Center for Competitiveness, Fribourg.
- Resbeut M., Gugler, P. (2016). “Evolution Industrielle: Le Cas du Canton de Fribourg”, Center for Competitiveness, Fribourg.
- Lepori, D, Gugler, P. (2016). “Institutions for Collaboration (IFCs) in the Swiss Watchmaking Sector”, Center for Competitiveness, Fribourg.
- Gugler, P., Keller, M. (2014). “Compétitivité et Attractivité du Capital Territorial du Canton de Fribourg”, Center for Competitiveness, Fribourg.