Royal ideology and visual representation of power; medieval Armenian art; codicology and miniature painting; cultural exchanges in the medieval Mediterranean and Soutwest Asia; history of artworks; historiography of medieval art; history of Armenian printing.
2006-2012 BA and MA in Art History at the Yerevan State University; 2012-2017 researcher at the departments of Codicology and Art History in the Matenadaran Institute of Ancient Manuscripts, Yerevan; 2013-2017 PhD at the University of Fribourg on the topic “Royal Images of the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia (1198-1375) in the Context of Mediterranean Intercultural Exchange” (thesis defence on November 14, 2017, with summa cum laude); 2016-2017 researcher at the Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa; Best Conference Paper Award 2015, awarded by the Society for Armenian Studies (California State University, Fresno); Scholarship holder of the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship 2013-2016, the Zeno Karl Schindler Foundation, the NAASR (National Association for Armenian Studies and Research, Belmont) and AGBU (New York). Since December 2017 postdoc researcher at the University of Fribourg in frame of the SNSF project “Royal Epiphanies: The King’s Body as Image and Its Mise-en-scène in Medieval Mediterranean, 12th-14th Centuries” (2017-2021).
Research and publications
- (2012) Iconography of the "Sacrifice of Isaac" in Armenian Miniature Painting
Etschmiadzin Monthly 8 (2012): 88–95 (in Armenian).
- (2014) The Roots of Tempietto and Its Symbolism in Armenian Gospels
Iconographica 13 (2014): 11–24.
- (2015) Updated Information on the Early Publications of the First Printing House in Armenia
Banber Matenadarani (Bulletin of Matenadaran) 22 (2015): 499–506 (in Armenian).
- (2017) Chapter 5. On the Interpretation of the Crosses Carved on the External Walls of the Armenian Church in Famagusta, Cyprus
in The Armenian Church of Famagusta and the Complexity of Cypriot Heritage. Prayers Long Silent, edited by Michael J. K. Walsh (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017), 125–141.
- (2017) Manifestations of the Mongol-Armenian Relations in the Royal Art of the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia: A study of the depiction of the robe of Prince Lewon in the manuscript No. 8321 (Yerevan, Mesrop Maštoc‛ Research Institute of Ancient Manuscripts / Matenadaran, fol. 15r)
in Élites chrétiennes et formes du pouvoir en Méditerranée centrale et orientale (XIIIe–XVe siècle), sous la dir. de Marie-Anna Chevalier et Isabelle Ortega (Paris : Classiques garniere, 2017), 251–300.
- (2018) "The Heritage of Ancestors": Early Studies on Armenian Manuscripts and Miniature Painting
in Discovering the Art of Medieval Caucasus (1801-1945), edited by Ivan Foletti and Stefano Riccioni, Venezia Arti 27 (2018): 81-102.
- (2019) King Gagik Arcruni’s Portrait on the Church of Ałt‛amar
Chapter 15 in The Church of the Holy Cross of Ałtamar: Politics, Art, Spirituality in the Kingdom of Vaspurakan, edited by Zaroui Pogossian and Edda Vardanyan (Leiden: Brill 2019), 416-440.
- (2020) Two Armenian Manuscripts in Switzerland (with an annotated translation of a newly-found abridgement of the Commentary of Canon Tables attributed to Step‛anos Siwnec‛i)
Le Muséon 133, 1/2, 87-139.