Break in studies
An application for a break in your studies can be submitted in the following cases:
- Maternity or paternity
- Military service or civil service
- Study linked project approved by the Dean’s office
Applications for a break in studies must be submitted on the MyUnifr portal. Please upload the relevant document on the portal:
- Illness or pregnancy: medical certificate
- Maternity or paternity: copy of the family register
- Military service: notification of military service
- Civil service: document "convention d’affectation" / "Einsatzvereinbarung" / "convenzione d’impiego"
- Study linked project approved by the Dean’s office: official written confirmation from the Dean’s Office
Only the supporting documents mentioned above will be accepted.
Applications for a break in studies must be submitted within the following deadlines:
- Autumn semester: 30 September
- Spring semester: 28 February
The application is valid for one semester only.
Consequences of a break in studies
If you are on leave, you cannot attend courses, hand in or defend a paper, or register for an exam.
Number of breaks granted
A maximum of four semesters of leave may be granted for the duration of your studies at the University of Fribourg.
During a break in studies you pay only the basic fee (CHF 115.- / semester)